Happy Friday everyone!
Yesterday after a lengthy dentist appointment, don’t ask, I was able to do my 4 miler on the dreadmill. To make the dreadmill less of my own personal hell I decided to do an interval work out. Totally made this up on the spot and I think I will call it “perspiration inspiration” because it made me sweat my butt off. It was definitely a fun way to make the few miles I had go by.
- 5 minute warm-up
- 1 minute 2.0 incline 6.3 speed
- 1 minute 3.0 incline 6.3 speed
- 1 minute 4.0 incline 6.3 speed
- increasing 1.0 every minute remaining at 6.3 speed until I hit an 8.0 incline (total of 6 minutes)
- Hold 8.0 incline for 2 minutes
- Decrease by .5 every minute maintaining 6.3 speed (about 10-12 minutes depending if you go down to 2.0 incline or lower)
- Recover for 1 minute, 0.5-1.0 incline
- Ramp up incline to 7.0 and speed to 7.0 for 30 seconds to 2 minutes (depending on how daring you feel)
- Recover for 1 minute
- Ramp up incline to 8.0 and speed to 7.5 for 30 seconds to 2 minutes (again don’t pull a butt muscle here)
- Recover for 1 minute
- Ramp up incline to 10 and speed to 7.0-8.0 for 30 seconds to 2 minutes (really be careful with this one. I did 10 incline and 8.0 for a minute)
- Recover as long as you want because you are done with intervals! Nice easy speed, no incline-1.0 incline
You should try this workout or something similar on any easy run day of the week. Sometimes even though it is supposed to be easy I feel like I just need more to get me through, more UMPH so to speak…as long as you aren’t constantly pushing your limits I don’t think there is anything wrong with that!
This coming Thursday I go to California to visit my best friend and celebrate her engagement! Also I get to see my love (and the reason I am called Aunt Ashlee these days) to celebrate baby Payton’s FIRST BIRTHDAY!…hoping to be REALLY good at keeping my running schedule on point because the following weekend is the NYC half!!!!!!
Luckily my best friend happens to live right by the Rose Bowl in Pasadena and it just makes for an amazing running backdrop so I don’t think I will have a problem!
Last night I was babysitting and when “supermom” (what I call the kid’s mom because of how amazing she is) got home she suggested that I McMillan Calculate my pace for the 1/2 to see what I should aim for. I did it and I am going to aim for a 1:50 half this time around, I think I can do it!! Might not be the most easy breezy half I have had so far…but it is my THIRD TIME IS A CHARM race and I want to hit this time!!
Today I am cross training. Any suggestions for a good workout? I hate how I get bored with my XT.
Tomorrow is an 11 miler…let’s hope the weather reports are wrong.
Have a great Friday filled with running!!!